Sunday, July 23, 2006

More gardening...2nd post today!


I decided to write a 2nd post for today. One about the vegie garden, and then this one about the flowers!

The hydrangea bushes haven't really liked the heat of the last few days Some of the leaves look burnt, and by the end of the day, the flowers are looking pretty wilted. But once it cools off, they are going back to normal each night.

I shudder to think of what my water bill might be like this month, with all the extra watering that I've been doing. But, in the months that I've lived here, I've only been above the 'minimum charge' one month - in May, when the water heater died...

Now, for the pictures:


Last, but not least: The one holdout strawberry plant! I guess the previous owners of this house had a strawberry patch and ripped it out (can't imagine why....) But, there was one loldout left! Growing in the crack between the bottom step and the sidewalk! I had 3 berries in June from it - very sweet and delicious! I thought that the heat would just bake it there in the hot sun with the concrete around it - but no, it is growing like crazy! It is also sending out lots of runners. I'm trying to send them all in the same general direction where they will be able to grow. I can't wait until next summer!

1 Comments:

At Mon Jul 24, 05:01:00 PM PDT, Blogger Dip Lady Knits said...

I love all your hydrangea's!! So I guess this mean you won't be making strawberry jam from your plants (or plant) this year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home