Sunday, July 02, 2006

Fun Day!

Today was quite a fun day. I love it when those 'spur of the moment' things turn out so nicely!

After church this morning, I got home and the clouds/fog was just starting to burn off. I was just really feeling like I NEEDED to spend some time outside, and a good hike seemed in order. Called up Joy and within about 20 minutes I was out the door!

Not too sure if a total round trip of about 150 miles is unreasonable or not for a 5 mile hike, but we had a great time. We met at the 1/2 way point in Shelton, then I drove the rest of the way to Lake Cushman. Once there, we hiked along the southside of the rapids to the 'big cedar' then returned and hiked about 2 1/2 miles in along the North Fork Skokomish trail. It was a relatively warm day, but not quite hot. The bugs weren't too bad either (I remember the other time I did this hike, the mosquitos were terrible!)

There were lots of helicoptors flying around and many search and rescue people out - looking for the missing person. We were startled at one point during the hike: a bird had a call that sounded a lot like a whistle, had to listen to it call out twice before we realized that it wasn't a lost person. I sure hope that he is found, alive and safe!

Here is a picture of Joy:



and me:
There weren't quite as many people out hiking as I expected on a long holiday weekend (long for most people, I have to work Monday!) There were even a few camping sites open! It would have been nice to be able to stay and camp. But instead, after our hike, we walked down to the river and sat with our feet in the VERY cold water. Joy was able to get her ankle feeling better - she twisted it during the hike. And I was able to find a nice place where the beach wasn't too rocky, and the water got deep quickly - laid with my feet in the water and looked up at the blue sky!

What a great day!

1 Comments:

At Mon Jul 03, 03:46:00 PM PDT, Blogger Dip Lady Knits said...

Happy Birthday again!!! Looks like you had a great Birthday and a very fun weekend! Love those magazines!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home