Friday, August 12, 2005

What a week (or two)

I had planned to write more often, but with minimal access to the internet by using other people's computers, I didn't have the chance to write anything for the blog while I was in SD.

What has happened in the last week?

- Mom had her surgery on Friday the 5th. She did well during and after the surgery for a few days, but now has not been doing as well, more details to follow. I just can't really write about it right now - too much stress and uncertainty.

- I finished the first lace cuff ankle sock during mom's surgery. It only took a total of 4 days of not-too-intensive-knitting! Since then, I have started the second sock at least 5 times and had to rip it out 5 times. Trying to knit a lacy sock when under lots of stress is a recipe for failure! I know, you are all thinking that this is just my continuing case of SSS; however, I have really, REALLY tried to start this sock, and it just does not want to be knit right now.

- I drove from Rapid City SD to Aberdeen WA (just over 1200 miles) in 2 days all by myself. I do not advise this as it is a very bad idea only to be undertaken in special circumstances. I wanted to spend as much time as possible with my mom, and also had to be back at work on Thursday. I am still recovering today as I try to type this.
Since I was in such a hurry, I had no chance to stop at any yarn shops anywhere! I even saw a billboard for a yarn shop in Montana (Bozeman or Butte I think). A full size billboard for a LYS along the interstate highway!! And I couldn't stop. On second thought, maybe it is a good thing that I didn't have time, because I certainly did not have any money to buy yarn.

- I bought a new cell phone! It has a digital camera, I'm learning how to take pictures. Evidently I should be able to email the pictures...someday, I will figure out how to email them to myself and then attempt to post them here. But first, I need to get some sleep so I can think clearly.

- The Prius got great gas mileage for the trip back to WA. I discovered a few things: Premium gas is really a waste of money (I guess everyone knew that except me...) and I actually got 3 to 4 miles less per gallon with the premium as compared to the regular 87 octane. Also, the best gas mileage is at 55 to 65 miles per hour, anything over that and the mileage goes back down to 44 to 46mpg. I did get 54.3mpg for the last leg of the trip from Cle Ellum to Aberdeen!! but averaged around 46 to 49 for the rest of the trip.


It is so nice being back in cool Washington state! I can't handle that South Dakota heat anymore! Give me a nice 65 degree Grays Harbor day! But I was happy to see the sun finally come out today.

On the schedule this weekend: find a storage unit somewhere in town that is safe and reasonably priced. I brought so much stuff back from SD. It is piled up in stacks in my apartment! I have enough cut out quilt pieces in boxes that my mom and my grandma had started...I should be able to make more quilts than I can count! Back to an abandoned hobby. Haven't been doing any quilting for a few years. Maybe it is time to start again.

I guess that is about all the news I have for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home