Sunday, October 08, 2006

Socks

I didn't join the Socktoberfest group, I have more than enough on my plate this month unfortunately.

But I've been thinking a lot about socks, about why it is that I like knitting them.

I guess it is probably because of the function and the folly of socks. They can be worn every day(not the same pair!!), and the nicely made fun knit socks really set you apart from almost everyone else who is wearing plain old white cotton socks.

Last night I spent time looking through the knitting books trying to find the best pattern for Joy's socks. I decided on the Unst pattern from Knitting on the Road. I haven't started yet tho, because I have far too many socks on the needles right now.

So, for a full accounting of my socks:
1. Finished pairs:
- red and black opal, basic sock, for me
- blue/purple wildfoote handpainted, basic sock, for me
- green stripe fortissima, ribbed sock, for me
- multicolor opal DK, basic sock, for me
- blue stripe opal DK, basic sock, for mom
- 2 pair baby socks, cascade fixation, for Kris and Kizmi
- yellow opal, Conway sock, for me
- blue/brown striped Steinbach socks, for me
- 2 pair Silk Garden socks, for me and for mom
- pink socks, Fly yarn, basic sock, for someone as a Christmas gift!
Twelve pairs!

2. In progress:
- Trekking traveling rib sock (1 half finished), for mom
- Fair Isle sock (one finished, other almost half done), for me
- Baudelaire socks, STR yarn (one done, one started), for me
- Fleece artist yarn, small capitals pattern (one almost half done), for me
- Blue, Pat Fly yarn, Unst pattern (ready to cast on), for Joy
Five pairs

3. Upcoming projects
- Purple Trekking XXL socks, for me
- Brown socks, to be determined
- Opal handpainted, shades of brown and rust
- Pat Fly, lightweight sock yarn, (soon on its way to me - thanks Sherri!)

----------

I've started to feel that I have SO MANY projects in progress right now that I have to make myself accountable for finishing them. Besides the socks in progress, I have too many other wip's: silk beaded scarf, meadow flowers shawl, pinwheel sweater. And so much yarn designated for other projects: Green Gable sweater, Pacific Northwest shawl, multicolor felted bag...And don't get me started on all the fiber from last week!
...gotta go, must start knitting!!

(edited: I've often wondered where the pictures go when you upload them to blogger, but they don't appear on the blog...hmm; well, I tried to add a picture of the socks, but no such luck)

1 Comments:

At Tue Oct 10, 09:46:00 PM PDT, Blogger Sherri said...

Thanks for visiting. :) It was a fun knit night, even though I didn't see much of you. I never get to go back and sit with the main group!

Since I seem to have lost my Knitting on the Road, I will have to wait to see what the Unst sock is altho I do remember seeing it.

Soon...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home